Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Gestational Diabetes and Doctors Appointment

Holy cow, it seems this one diagnosis can definitely turn a pregnancy into a duty like no other.  I mean we all know there are sacrifices that come with pregnancy like no alcohol, limited amounts of tuna, trying to be health, but it seems GD (Gestational Diabetes) just turns it inside out and backwards.  I talked to the doctor this morning and she said that I will have to see a diabetic counselor who will go over my diet plan and then I will have to start monitoring my blood sugar levels.  Once in the morning, and then an hour after every meal.  So I knew this already, what I didn't realize is this also means a whole lot of extra appointments starting in 2 weeks I will have to go in weekly.  Now normally pregnant women don't go in weekly till 36, but because of the GD they need to monitor the babies stress levels so I will be going in for a NST (non-stress test) weekly starting in 2 weeks.  On top of this they will start doing ultrasounds to measure growth because with uncontrolled GD his shoulders could get really big and this may mean a C-section.  I would prefer to have a natural birth if possible, but I am open and realize that I should do whatever is best for the baby.  Anyways, I am hoping that everything will be fine and so far I think I am following a diet plan that works granted I only know what I am reading on the internet and I have not been able to monitor with an actual glucose meter yet, but I will know soon enough.

Also I wanted to inform everyone that I did ask my doctor this question: "Could I have prevented this?"  and She told me NO,  That is not to say that is the case for everyone.  She did say that women that are overweight can possible loose weight to prevent this, but that was not something I could have done as I was normal to begin with.  Other than that there is nothing that can prevent this and it just has to do with how my body reacts to the hormones.  That being said I am somewhat relieved that this isn't my fault, but slightly annoyed that my body has once again failed in doing what it should granted I shouldn't be surprised after struggling with asthma, infertility and now this.

I hope everyone is doing well and I hope to update on my dietician appointment tomorrow!

Until next time,

Olivia

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you have GD. I hope the diet you will need to follow is reasonable and works well for you.

    Has your asthma affected you much during pregnancy or been part of the reason you've had troubles getting pregnant? I have mild asthma, but it didn't do too much during pregnancy. Only during the spring when the pollen was bad (30 year all time worst, ugh) and then I was totally miserable as I couldn't take my normal allergy meds, but asthma wasn't too bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my asthma hasn't been too bad. I had some problems in the first trimester, but they have seemed to disappear. I feel that my allergies are the worst and I hear you all the good meds are taken out of the mix with pregnancy so it feels like I just have to suffer through them.

      Delete