"Why You?" was the first thing this dietician said to me. I think she was just as shocked as about everyone else that I need diabetic counseling and had Gestational Diabetes. This kind of made me laugh considering I am also asking the question "Why me?" in regards to about every health problem I have.
We started off by training me on the glucose monitoring device. There are two parts: the piece that pricks my finger (doesn't really hurt all that bad) and the device that actually tests the blood. She had me try it out while I was there and my blood sugar came back at 72 and she was kinda panicky considering that they don't want to see it get below 70 but since I hadn't had my afternoon snack I kinda figured that would be the case.
Then we discussed my diet which is everything from Five Guys (burger joint) to cereal/milk and juice for breakfast. We then discussed what carbs are and proteins and fats and what I should be eating. My understanding is that the protein and fat help to flat line the sugar in your blood and that it will last longer giving you more energy throughout the day. She also told me that a lot of this will be trial and error. I may be able to handle white rice, but if I can't I will need to substitute brown rice. Cheerios may be fine, but maybe a high fiber cereal will be better. High Fiber also helps to keep the blood sugar from spiking. She even said that the seldom candy bar can be ok, but I need to count it and balance it out.
That being said I left feeling much better. I got more test strips and lancets (poke my finger device needles). I have tested 3 times since yesterday and so far I think I am doing ok. We had pork fried rice last night and my blood sugar was 104 (needs to be below 140 an hour after all meals). This morning I tested and it was 58 (should be between 70-95), which is a little low, I may need to work on my night time snack a bit and then this morning after a bowl of cheerios and one scrambled egg it was 124.
I think the best thing is that I don't have to work right now, which makes all of this easier. If I had to work I am not sure I would or could be as diligent with all the tracking and remembering to eat at specific times.
Anyways, I hope the rest of you don't have to go through this as it is tedious and can be mildly frustrating.
Until Next Time,
Olivia
I'm so glad she talked to you about eating carbs in conjunction with protein and fats. That's honestly the best advice along with trading in some non high fiber choices for ones that are higher in fiber.
ReplyDeleteMost of the choices you can make are kind of common sense but here's a list that was helpful to me when I first started out with a low GI diet. The fruits were the ones that got me every time because I loved mango, pineapple and bananas and they weren't really great for me to have every day.
http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/
I hope you have an easy time of this. I know it's frustrating.
Thanks for that link, it is definitely helpful.
DeleteI think it's life's way of training you to moderate and balance in your life once the little man is here :)
ReplyDeleteI fail miserably at that whole thing, probably because I didn't get that training :(
J/K you'll do just fine and if not I'll come cook for you >:D
live 173
ReplyDeletelive 173
live 173免費視訊
live 173免費視訊
173視訊
173視訊
live173視訊聊天交友網
live173視訊聊天交友網
173影音
173影音