Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Needle Phobia

So before I ever entered the world of infertility, I had a fear of needles and I would be lying if I didn't say that it is still there.  Nothing has made me less afraid of needles that is unless of course you exclude infertility.  I remember the first bit of testing and how much blood had to be drawn and I hoped and prayed that I could just get pregnant with a little help and that I would never ever have to stick myself with a needle.  I found my prayers were not answered and hope would start to evade me in this regard.  What I soon found was resolve and the strength to do what needed to be done.  The only thing scarier to me than needles was the thought that I might not ever have children.  I refused to let myself be the reason for not having any kids besides at that point I had been poked so many times I really was not panicky at needles anymore.  To date I have stuck myself with 1 needle, dealt with too many blood draws to count, and am currently doing acupuncture.  I realize in less then a week I will be poking myself again and that does make me slightly nervous but again the thought of never having children scares me even more.
Until next time,
Olivia

4 comments:

  1. Getting to the point where I have to inject myself is one of my nightmares. I am a total needlephobe. I think you are very brave to have been able to stick yourself. I think if we do get to that point I will have to have Kitt learn to do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very brave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have a big needle phobia too...now it's just a small worry after having been through all this fertility stuff. I do have to look the other way when the tech draws my blood at my appointments but I'm fine with giving myself my shots at home (except for the sting from the medication). And I completely agree with you that it's scarier to face giving up on having a baby than it is to give myself shots everyday. I'll be thinking of you and sending positive vibes your way as you start your meds!

    ReplyDelete